Thursday, November 06, 2008

The first piece of fan mail I ever wrote was to Michael Crichton. As a kid, my reading level was always a year or two ahead of my classmates. In fifth grade, I was asked to write a letter to my favorite author. I had seen Jurassic Park in theaters and had just finished reading the book. After finishing Jurassic Park, I quickly began to read my way through Crichton's other works. He was and still is my favorite author to this day. Sadly, Crichton lost a long battle with cancer and died on November 4th.

Crichton inspired me as a kid and still inspires me today. His ability to write educational yet action and suspense filled novels has shaped the way that I write today. I may not have the educational background that he did but I always strive to write stories that may be fantastic in nature but are rooted in reality. I will miss Crichton and I will forever remember the impact that he has had on my creative side.

Michael Crichton. 1942-2008

1 Comments:

Blogger Kartiki Washington said...

Remember when you were the only fifth grader that had read "Disclosure"?

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home